In November 2009, ICAT Logistics joined the SmartWay Program in an effort to focus on creating a greener environment and reducing their overall carbon footprint.
Did you know on average, the U.S. transportation system moves over 51 million tons of freight daily? And, by 2050, experts project global freight transport emissions will surpass those from passenger vehicles. These staggering statistics are just some of the factors behind why ICAT joined this initiative.
What exactly is the SmartWay Program?
Launched in 2004, the SmartWay Program is a voluntary joint green initiative developed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The program helps companies advance in supply chain sustainability by measuring, benchmarking, and improving freight transportation efficiency.
What are some of the benefits of working with a SmartWay Transport Partner?
Working with a company that is more conscious of the impacts to the environment have several benefits, including:
- Providing a comprehensive system for tracking, documenting, and sharing data regarding fuel use and freight emissions across supply chains;
- Helping identify more efficient freight carriers, transport modes, equipment, and operational strategies to improve supply chain sustainability and lower costs from the movement of goods;
- Supporting global energy security and offsetting environmental risks;
- Reducing freight transportation-related emissions by accelerating the use of advanced fuel-saving technologies; and
- Supporting major transportation industry associations, environmental groups, state and local governments, international agencies, and the corporate community.
What are some of the SmartWay Program successes?
Since 2004, SmartWay has helped it partners save 338 million barrels of oil, which is equivalent to eliminating annual electricity use in over 21 million homes. The program has also helped partners avoid emitting 143 million metric tons of CO2 (Carbon Dioxide), 2.7 million short tons of NOx (Nitrogen Oxide), and 112,000 short tons of PM (Particular Matter), which helps protect the environment and keep people healthy.
As of today, nearly 4,000 companies and organizations, and over 200 major industry associations, states and localities, and professional trade groups, participate in the SmartWay Program.
Learn more about Smartway at epa.gov/smartway.
Explore More from our blog
Everything You Need to Know About Shipping Lithium Batteries
In today’s world, lithium batteries are everywhere. The most common places they can be found are in household items, such as remote controls, watches, smart…
All About the Power of Attorney
What is a power of attorney? A power of attorney (also known as a POA) is a legal document provided by the client to a…